Oral Health Policy
Maintaining excellent oral health is a PRIORITY in our office.
All patients starting with braces receive an Oral Health Kit that includes the following:
- An orthodontic toothbrush, especially modified for braces.
- Special superfloss: this allows for one step flossing while wearing braces.
- An informative booklet that discusses orthodontics and homecare.
- A number of additional homecare aids which will be helpful.
- Wax: this will be used to cover minor spots of irritation early in treatment.
- A tube of Prevident 5000 plus: This is to be brushed onto the teeth every night and then expectorated.
This tube of toothpaste should last for several months. It is important to purchase additional Prevident once the original has been finished. This prescription toothpaste can be purchased at your pharmacy or at our office. Please make certain it is used during the entire course of active treatment. Fluorides are used in our office as a “safety net” to make certain that the teeth remain healthy during the course of orthodontic treatment.
We have a special tooth brushing area that should be utilized prior to every adjustment. Please, before being seated or playing the video games…BRUSH YOUR TEETH! Disposable toothbrushes are used. Patients are expected to brush their teeth as soon as they come to the upstairs treatment area. They should not wait until they are asked to be seated for their adjustment before they decide to brush their teeth! It is critical that all patients maintain routine checkups and cleanings with their general dentist. Teeth should be brushed three times daily. Sometimes this is impossible. Rinsing should always be performed after meals and snacks.
Our goal is NO cavities, NO marks on the teeth. If our instructions are not followed such damage may occur. Adults must maintain excellent oral hygiene to make certain that the gums remain strong and healthy. In children swollen gums can occur during treatment if homecare is poor. This, however, is usually quickly reversible. To accomplish all our goals patient cooperation is absolutely essential!