Springfield Orthodontics is a big believer in giving back to the community. We are very proud of this! We do this in many ways and it is our way to thank Springfield and the surrounding communities for the support they have given our office for more than 40 years.
We would like to tell you about how we give back. The doctors are very involved with helping and giving back to the community.
- Dr. Brett volunteers time at Newark Beth Israel Medical Center to teach the dental residents and provide orthodontic services to patients who otherwise could not afford them. Dr. Brett is the Director of Orthodontics and has been an attending doctor at the hospital since 2008.
- Springfield Orthodontics donated custom-made mouthguards for the football players for the Jonathan Dayton Bulldogs. Each player came to the office to have molds made of their teeth. These molds were sent to a special company which made custom mouthguards. These guards will help protect the jaws, jaw joints, and teeth of these players.
- The Apostles' House is a "home" for homeless and battered children and women in Newark. We have been involved with this facility for many years now. At our office we do a Halloween Candy Buyback where we buy Halloween candy from our patients at $1.00 per pound and then give this candy to The Apostles' House for the children who can't go out trick-or-treating (we also donate toothbrushes along with the candy). We also do coat drives in winter, a toy drive around the Christmas holidays, and a school supply drive at the start of the school year.
- For Children's Dental Health Month (February), Dr. Brett volunteers with the Dental Society to run a poster contest for all fourth graders in the public schools of Union County. Each school in the county is invited to participate and many do. Winning posters from each school are selected and the children are invited with their families to a special ceremony for food, awards, prizes, and photographs.
- Also in conjunction with Children's Dental Health Month, fourth graders from the local grammar school (Caldwell School) have visited our office to learn about dentistry and orthodontics. We make sure they not only learn new things but also have fun!
- We also sponsor Little League baseball and softball teams, and basketball teams in Springfield and other local towns.