Springfield Orthodontics is a big believer in giving back to the community. We are very proud of this! We do this in many ways and it is our way to thank Springfield and the surrounding communities for the support they have given our office for over thirty years.
We would like to tell you about how we give back. Dr. Lee and Dr. Brett, as they are affectionately known are very involved with helping and giving back to the community.
- Dr. Lee has been a member of the Springfield Rotary club for more than 25 years; he is a former president of the club; Rotary raises money to help graduating seniors with college scholarships and is involved in many other community activities. Rotary's motto "Service above self" is something we truly believe in at Springfield Orthodontics.
- Dr. Lee and Dr. Brett volunteer their time at Newark Beth Israel Medical Center providing orthodontic services to patients who otherwise could not afford them. Dr. Lee is Chairman of the Orthodontic Department at Newark Beth Israel (for over 20 years) and Dr. Brett is an attending at the hospital.
- Springfield Orthodontics does other things as well for the community. For the past two years the office has donated to the PTA in Springfield a trip for two to the Caribbean… the PTA raffles this trip off to parents of school children and others to help raise money for PTA functions. Last year this raffle generated over $3,000 for the PTA.
- Springfield Orthodontics donated custom-made mouth guards for the football players for the Jonathan Dayton Bulldogs this year. Each player came to the office to have molds made of their teeth. These molds were sent to a special company which made custom mouth guards. These guards will help protect the jaws, jaw joints and teeth of these players.
- The Apostles' House is a "home" for homeless and battered children and women in Newark. We have been involved with this facility for many years now. At our office we do a Halloween Candy Buyback where we buy Halloween candy from our patients at $1.00 per pound and then give this candy to The Apostles' House for the children who can't go out trick-or-treating (we also donate toothbrushes along with the candy). We also do coat drives in winter, a toy drive around the Christmas holidays and a school supply drive in late August and early September.
- Dr. Lee and Dr. Brett are involved with Children's Dental Health Month (February). They volunteer their time to run a poster contest for all fourth graders in the public schools of Union County. Each school in the county is invited to participate and many do. Winning posters from each school are selected and these children come to a special ceremony at a local catering hall for food, awards, and photographs.
- Also in conjunction with Children's Dental Health Month, fourth graders from the local grammar school (Caldwell School) spend a morning at our office learning about different orthodontic procedures. We make sure they not only learn new things but also have fun while doing it.
- Dr. Lee has donated a scholarship to a graduating senior at Jonathan Dayton High School for the past several years. This scholarship is given to the senior who shows interest in dentistry as a career and is given in memory of his father, Dr. Bertram Kaswiner, with whom Dr. Lee practiced for fifteen years.
- We also sponsor a little league team in town.